From Our Archives
Visitors to our website often want to look at some of the pages that have since been superseded. Please use the links below for access to these pages.
Every quarter we select one of George Herbert's works and feature it on this website, with a commentary. The previously selected works are:
George Herbert was the 23rd Rector of Bemerton; the present incumbent, the Rev'd Simon Woodley, is the 46th. He writes a quarterly personal message for this site. Here are his earlier messages:
Reports. These are reports of some of the events previously organised by the Group:
- A reading and talk in June 2008 by poet and novelist, Vikram Seth, on 'Shared Ground', a set of six poems he wrote in 2007 using the structure and metre of six of Herbert’s poems as an inspiration and constraint.
- A live broadcast in February 2009 in the BBC Radio 4 'Sunday Worship' series - a special service of reflection, music and prayers, led by Canon Judy Rees.
- A reading in May 2009 by members of the Group of the poem 'The Church-porch', with musical interludes composed and performed by Barry Ferguson.
- A conducted walk from Salisbury Cathedral to Lower Bemerton across the water meadows, in the footsteps of George Herbert, with readings from his poetry by Profesor Helen Wilcox and music in St. Andrew's church from composer Alec Roth and international soprano Sally Bradshaw. This was a collaborative event with Salisbury International Arts Festival.
Transcripts. These are transcripts of some of the Group's past lectures and presentations:
- Michael Mayne: The Poetry of George Herbert.
- John Chandler: The Country Parson’s Flock: Bemerton in 1632.
- Prof. Gillian Beer: 'Another Music': Rhyming and Transformation.
- Prof. John Beer: How Herbert Differs from Donne.
- Brother Patrick Moore: The Study of Books.
- Canon Jeremy Davies:Music for a King.
- Prof. Helen Wilcox:A Writer in His Time.
- Peter Webster:The Parson's Life.
Here are the Annual Reports and Accounts for previous years:
- 2007 - Annual Report
- 2008 - Annual Report and Accounts
- 2009 - Annual Report and Accounts
- 2010 - Annual Report and Accounts
- 2011 - Annual Report and Accounts